Hawksley Rifle Flask
Hawksley Rifle Flask. A rifle flask by G & J.W.Hawksley with patent charger throwing 60-110 grains
See Hawksley catalogue 1889 page 74
G.& J.W. H. was the firm of George and John William Hawksley, manufacturers of utilitarian objects in the last half of the 19th and the first part of the 20th centuries. They made powder flasks and shot belts as well as brandy flasks. Their business is recorded at 75 Carver Street. George Hawksley’s residence was at 73 Carver Street. J.W. resided at 22 Holliscroft and is recorded as being a horn merchant as well. The name is also recorded as George Hawksley and Co. at 32 Charlotte Street as a manufacturer of silver and plated ware. Hawksley is also found at the 75 Carver Street address as Hawksley, Needham & Co. as a maker of spring knives.