Luger LP-08 Artillery 32 Round Magazine
Luger LP-08 Artillery 32 round magazine in superb condition. WW1 1st Model type with telescopic winding lever. Magazine has matching serial number 15922
Following complaints about the standard 8-round magazine capacity an improved drum magazine which became known as the Trommelmagazin was developed. This 32-round magazine was developed by Friedrich Blum an Austro-Hungarian. The new magazines were manufactured by the German toy manufacturer Gebrude Bing AG of Nuremberg. Colloquially known as the ‘snail magazine’ they were also used by the MP18.1 submachine gun.
The Pistole Parabellum—or Parabellum-Pistole (Pistol Parabellum), commonly known as just Luger or Luger P08—is a toggle-locked recoil-operated semi-automatic pistol. The Luger was produced in several models and by several nations from 1898 to 1948.
The design was first patented by Georg Luger. It was meant to be an improvement of the Borchardt C-93 pistol, and was initially produced as the Parabellum Automatic Pistol, Borchardt-Luger System by the German arms manufacturer Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM). The first production model was known as the Modell 1900 Parabellum. It was followed by the “Marinepistole 1904” for the Imperial German Navy.
The Luger was officially adopted by the Swiss military in 1901, the Imperial German Navy in 1906 and the German Army in 1908. The Luger was also the standard service pistol of Switzerland, Portugal, the Netherlands, Brazil, Bolivia, and Bulgaria. It was widely used in other countries as a military service pistol and by police forces. In the German Army service, it was adopted in a slightly modified form as the Pistole Modell 1908 (Pistole 08) in calibre 9×19mm Parabellum. The Model 08 was eventually succeeded by the Walther P38.
The Luger is well known from its wide use by Germany during World War I and World War II, along with the interwar Weimar Republic and the post war East German Volkspolizei. The pistol is a common sight in fiction, especially in works set during World War II, but it has made appearances elsewhere.
The name Parabellum, which also featured in DWM’s telegraphic address, comes from the Latin phrase, Si vis pacem, para bellum “If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Click here for more miscellaneous items