300 Rook Rifle by John Rigby with 28b barrel
300 Rook Rifle by John Rigby with 28b barrel. This is a superb cased set with a 300 Rook rifle and a 28b barrel. Most unusually it is cased with the scope which is numbered to the gun. The scope is fitted by means of quick release mounts on the 300 Rook barrel. The rifle was made in 1911 for Sir E. Lechmere Bt. The weight is 5lbs 7oz for the rifle and3lbs 15oz for the shotgun.
** Please note because there is a shotgun barrel this set is classed as a Section 2 Firearm and requires a Shotgun Certificate **
John Rigby & Company (or John Rigby & Co. (Gunmakers) Ltd) is a gunmaking firm founded by John Rigby in 1775 in Dublin. The company was established by the first John Rigby in Dublin, Ireland, apparently in 1775; his grandson, also John, opened a London branch in 1865; and Dublin operations had ceased by February 1897.
Rigby was nearly bankrupted during the Irish Rebellion of 1798 when the government seized the arms on his premises – those belonging to the firm and to its clients – presumably to keep them out of the reach of rebels. However, by 1810 (if not sooner) John Rigby had rebuilt his business and, in addition to sporting guns, was making, updating and repairing thousands of guns for Ireland’s police, military, postal and customs services.
After the founding John Rigby’s death, in 1818, his sons William and John Jason Rigby operated the business as W. & J. Rigby from circa 1820 to 1865, a period that spanned flintlock, percussion, pinfire and needlefire ignition and marked the start of the modern metallic cartridge era. Rigby was a leader in barrel-making and rifling technology and, at the time, it was also recognised for its high grade dueling pistols. (Irish gentlemen especially had a fondness for calling each other out over perceived slights to their honour.)
Sir Edmund Lechmere, 4th Baronet (1865–1937)
Land in the Hanley area is said to have been given to the Lechmere family by William the Conqueror. According to family legend, the original grant was discovered at Severn End in the 17th century in Edmund Lechmere’s time, but its whereabouts today is unknown. Certainly the Lechmeres were established here before 1173 when Reginald de Lechmere is recorded as paying taxes.
The Lechmere Baronetcy, of The Rhydd in the County of Worcester, is a title in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom. It was created on 10 December 1818 for Anthony Lechmere.
The Lechmere family has been settled in Hanley Castle, Worcestershire, since the 11th century.